Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY JCrew Necklace

I am going to attempt the impossible.... DIY J Crew Flower Lattice Necklace
Retails for $228.00...... gulp! (and it's sold out btw)

Flower lattice necklace

Let's look at it up close shall we??


I found this set of brooches on Etsy the other day for $18.75 12% off = $16.50
10 pcs Assorted Acrylic Metal Rhinestone Buttons with Shank on the back Round Diamante Crystal for Hair Flower Wedding Pillow Napkin garment
But I needed 1 large brooch to make my set complete.... So I also bought this one also
RD109 Crystal Rhinestone Metal LARGE Embellishment Sewing Shank Button or Brooch Broach Pin Wedding Bridal Brooch Bouquet

and this one...


RD74 BIG 2 inch CLEAR Rhinestone embellishment button Perfect for wedding accessories invitations pillow crystal bouquet flowers hair

There are several tutorials online on how to paint rhinestone jewelry (just Google it)
Here are some different ways



Sharpies
 create the translucent look


via



Spray Paint
Creates a matte finish and an excellent choice if you wanted it all one color.
(however it isn't ideal for my project),



via



Nail Polish
Could be ideal but it can get pricey quick


via






Acrylic Paint
Millions of colors for cheap!



She also used a layer of Mod Podge as a sealant and to give it a glossy finish


via


Ok so let me show you what I did

Basics needed
Necklace and Bracelet chain set
(I wanted Gold but I wasn't sure how it would look)
Brooches/Buttons
Wire
Pliers


1. The necklace was too short in my opinion , so I took the chain from the bracelet and extended it. 
2. I laid out my pieces 
* looks just like the silver version of the JCrew necklace, doesn't it!?!*


3. Next I started attaching the brooches to the chain with some silver jewelry wire


These 3 little buttons on the right were the most difficult to attach


All of them are attached at this point. 
*The far left button lost a stone, but I glued it back later*


4. Apply colors!


I slowly "colored" the stones as close as I could to the JCrew version 
The 3 buttons on the right were my test subjects




On the JCrew version I noticed there were some gray looking stones on the front middle one. 
After some thought I used a black sharpie on those stones and then immediately buffed it off, which achieved the gray coloring. 


Here she is !


Let's see how close I got, shall we?

Flower lattice necklace

Pretty dang close if I do say so myself!

Here she is on me :0)


Well I hope this has inspired you to start painting your rhinestones!!


xo Melissa


4 comments:

  1. wow! I want to do this so bad! You did a great job! :)
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I am so doing this over spring break! Did you like it unpainted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are some kind of rhinestone rock star! that is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is AMAZING! thanks for including my necklaces- acrylic is the way to go!

    you seriously nailed the crew necklace!!!

    ReplyDelete